« back to recipes search results
Quails with Grapes & Madeira or Sherry
An excellent dinner party dish, that easy to cook.
For 4 people:
8 Quails, oven-ready
1 tablespoon (15ml) Vegetable Oil
2 tablespoons (30ml) Butter
100ml/4 fl oz Sercial Madeira or Fino Sherry
200ml/8fl oz Dark Chicken Stock (q.v.) or ½ a Chicken Stock Cube dissolved in the same quantity of water
30-40 seedless White Grapes or 4 Apples, cut into pieces and rubbed with Lemon
2 pinches Caster Sugar
8 slices of white bread fried in butter until golden then kept warm (optional)
1. Heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6.
2. Heat the oil with half the butter in a frying pan that can also go into the oven.
3. Seal the quails on all sides, over a medium heat, then fry each breast side for 2 minutes on each side.
4. Put them in the oven for 15 minutes to cook.
5. Remove them from the oven and return them to a low heat on the stove.
6. Add the remaining butter to the frying pan and add the grapes or apple pieces and the sugar and fry this for a minute, turning them over so they cook evenly.
7. Add the Madeira or Sherry to the frying pan, the deglaze the pan by scrapping the bottom of the frying pan to release any caramelised juices.
8. Add the stock and reduce the sauce until it thickens slightly.
9. Arrange two croûtes (pieces of fried bread) on each plate, arrange a quail on each one and them pour the sauce over.