« back to recipes search results
Cornish Pasty Recipe
A traditional pastry turnover, originally designed as a 'user-friendly' lunch for working miners. The correct filling consists of beef, onion, turnip or swede, potato and seasonings. Modern versions are offered with a variety of possible fillings, but are not truly Cornish pasties.
Pastry with lard replacing the butter, is more traditional, but most modern tastes will find a butter version more pleasant.
For 4 pasties:
1 batch of our Shortcrust Pastry or 8-10 oz (250-300gr) bought Shortcrust Pastry
10 oz/ 300gr Stewing Steak, chuck, skirt or shin is best – trimmed of any fat
8 oz/250gr Swede or Turnips, peeled and chopped into the size of large peas
8 oz/250gr Potato, peeled and cut into similar-sized pieces
8 oz/250gr Onion, chopped
1 medium clove of Garlic, peeled and finely-chopped (not traditional but we feel an improvement
½ teaspoon (2ml) Salt and a few grinds of freshly-ground Black Peppercorn
a big pinch of Dried Thyme
a little flour
a little milk
1. Chop the meat into very small cubes, the same size as the vegetables.
2. Sprinkle a little flour on a worktop, then roll out the pastry fairly thinly
3. Cut out four circles, using something the size of a saucer as a template.
4. Mix the meat together with the swede/turnip, potato, onion and garlic if using, season with the thyme salt and pepper.
5. Heat the oven to 425°F/220°C/Gas 7.
6. Arrange the meat mixture down the centre of each circle, leaving a gap at each end.
7. Brush the pastry rim with a little milk, then bring the two sides of the pastry up to meet over the top of the filling and pinch them together into a continuous scalloped seam.
8. Pierce 2 small holes in the top of each parcel, then brush the parcels with a little milk, being careful not to block up the holes – which are there to allow any steam to escape.
9. Put the pasties on a lightly-floured baking sheet. Bake them on the middle shelf of the heated oven for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350°C/350°F/Gas 4 and bake for a further 30 minutes.
Eat warm or at room temperature.