« back to recipes search results
Chicken Fricassée Recipe
An excellent dish, which can be made with chicken thighs (allowing 2 per person), chicken quarters, or one whole large chicken divided into 8 pieces by your butcher.
It makes a great family meal, as it can be prepared ahead of time, just needing the final stage to be undertaken at the last minute.
Ingredients for 4 helpings:
Enough Chicken, as described above
60gr/2 oz Seasoned Flour – made by ½ teaspoon Herbes de Provence or Mixed Dried Herbs, 1 teaspoon Salt, ½ teaspoon freshly-ground Black Pepper
4 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
250ml/ ½ pint Chicken Stock
250ml/½ pint Dry White Wine
1 heaped teaspoon (7ml) Cornflour, dissolved in 2 tablespoons of cold stock or white wine
1 Bay Leaf
2 medium Garlic Cloves, peeled and finely-chopped
1 x 400gr tin of Chopped Tomatoes
300gr/10 oz Button Mushrooms
To Finish –
2 Egg Yolks
150ml/5 fl oz Double Cream
½ teaspoon Paprika – plus a little extra a sprinkle on when serving.
Equipment needed: a frying pan, a large heavy flameproof casserole
1. Put the seasoned flour onto a large plate or baking tray, and one at a time dip the chicken pieces into the flour, covering them on all sides. Shake off any excess flour as you go, stacking the completed pieces to one side.
2. Heat the vegetable oil in the frying pan over a medium heat.
3. Brown the chicken pieces on all sides, doing them one of two at a time - then transferring them to the casserole as they are done.
4. Add the chicken stock, wine, dissolved cornflour, bay leaf and garlic to the chicken.
5. Put the casserole over a medium heat and bring the mixture to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes, turning the chicken pieces occasionally - so at some stage they all have contact with the bottom of the pan.
6. Add the chopped tomatoes and the mushrooms and return the mixture to a simmer. Cook for a further 20 minutes.
7. Remove the chicken pieces to a side dish, with a slotted spoon and add salt and pepper to taste, using the ingredients-list as a guide line.
The dish can be prepared up to this point, then re-heated
To finish now - beat the egg yolks, cream and paprika together and blend this into the chicken mixture cooked for a further 5 minutes, then serve sprinkled with a little extra paprika.
To finish later - gently reheat the mixture to the end of stage 6, ensuring that the chicken is hot (see above) - then proceed as above.