« back to recipes search results
A good baked vegetable dish, made in the style of a gratin.
If you have good chicken stock, this is a good time to use it, but if not (and for vegetarians) vegetable stock made with a cube is satisfactory, but be careful not to add too much extra salt.
For 6-8 helpings:
4 lbs/1.8 kilos Kohlrabi – peeled and thinly sliced
1 lbs/450gr Onion – peeled and finely sliced
2 Cooking Apples, or 4 crisp Dessert Apples, such as Cox’s
5 oz/150gr Butter
¾ pint/400ml Chicken or Vegetable Stock
Salt & freshly-ground Black Pepper
1. Toss the kohlrabi, onion and apple (plus some salt & freshly-ground black pepper) together in a buttered ovenproof dish using ½ the butter.
2. Heat the oven to 350ºF/180ºC/Gas 4.
3. Melt the remaining butter.
4. Pour over the stock, topping up with enough extra water to just come up to the top of the vegetables (this will depend on the shape & depth of your baking dish), if necessary.
5. Brush the top of the vegetables with the melted butter.
6. Bake in the centre of the oven for about 1 hour, or until a knife goes in easily and the top is golden.
Serve, or allow to completely cool, cling-wrap and refrigerate until needed – then gently re-heat.