« back to recipes search results
Leeks Roasted with Cheese
This makes a delicious light lunch, if served with fresh crusty bread.
If you enjoy cooking take a minute to look at http://www.gourmetbritain.com/cookery-wine-schools/32475/simon-scrutton-cookery-classes/ - top-class dishes from beginners upwards
8 medium Leeks, with the dark green section removed (as it can be over-hot), the root removed, split in half lengthways and carefully washed
4 tablespoons (60ml) Olive Oil
4 oz/120gr Farmhouse Cheddar or Lancashire Cheese - the better the cheese the better the result
Equipment needed: an oven-proof baking dish big enough to hold all the leeks in one layer
1. Heat the oven to 375ºF/190ºC/Gas 5
2. Lightly oil the baking dish, then spread the split leeks so they cover the bottom.
3. Drizzle with the olive oil.
4. Thinly-slice the cheese and spread it over the leeks.
5. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the leeks are tender, when pierced with a sharp knife.