« back to recipes search results
Hash Browns; Bombay Style Recipe
A good barbecue or buffet dish. Suitable for Vegans if you replace any butter with more oil.
If you enjoy cooking take a minute to look at http://www.gourmetbritain.com/cookery-wine-schools/32475/simon-scrutton-cookery-classes/ - top-class dishes from beginners upwards
- Suitable for Vegetarians
- Suitable for Vegans
For 4-6 people:
1 tablespoon (15 ml) Sesame Oil
1 teaspoon (5ml) Mustard Seeds
600gr/1 lb 4 oz Potatoes, peeled and coarsely-grated – then left dry
2.5cm/1 ins Ginger Root, peeled and grated
1 teaspoon (5ml) Sugar
2 Chilis – deseeded & finely-chopped
30gr/1 oz Desiccated Coconut
The juice of ½ Lemon
Salt & freshly-grated Black Pepper
A few sprigs of fresh Coriander – chopped including stalks
A little butter – or butter & oil mixed – for frying
Equipment needed: A deep frying pan.
1. Squeeze as much liquid out of the grated potatoes as possible.
2. Heat the sesame oil in a deep frying pan, then fry the mustard seeds over a medium heat until they pop.
3. Add all the other ingredients, except the coriander, and fry on a low heat for about 5 minutes.
4. Allow to cool, then add the coriander, and form the mixture into flat cakes.
5. Fry them in hot oil (or oil and butter mixed) until they're golden on both sides.