« back to recipes search results
Chick Pea, Spinach & Potato Curry
A quick and easy curry to make if you use tinned chick peas, which work very well. If you decide to cook your own chick peas from scratch, these will need soaking overnight, before cooking in fresh water for 2 to 3 hours with some onion and a bay leaf.
- Suitable for Vegetarians
- Suitable for Vegans
For 2 helpings:
450gr/1 lb Small New Potatoes, with thin 'flaky' skins, washed and either halved or quartered (depending on size)
A few sprigs of Fresh Mint
1 tablespoon (15ml) Vegetable Oil
1 medium Onion, peeled and finely-chopped
1 clove of Garlic, peeled and finely-chopped
2 tablespoons (30ml) Medium Curry Powder
1 tablespoon (15 ml) Tomato Purée
1 x 400gr can of Chick Peas, drained and rinsed through a colander
Salt & freshly-ground Pepper
300gr/10 oz Fresh Spinach, with the coarse stalks removed, then carefully washed
1. Put the potatoes in a saucepan of water and cook them until they are tender - this will depend on size & type, but about 8-10 minutes. Drain them, keeping about 225ml/8 fl oz of the minty water (but discard the mint) & set both aside.
2. Heat the oil in a deep frying pan and 'seat' the onion of a low heat until it's translucent (about 4 minutes), then add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
3. Add the curry powder and tomato purée and stir them in before adding the chick peas, stirring them well in.
4. Add a little salt and freshly-grated pepper, then the cooked potatoes and their saved water.
5. Add the spinach, stir this in so that it softens, then increase the heat until the mixture just bubbles and cook for a further 5 minutes.
6. Test again for seasoning, then serve.