« back to recipes search results
Aubergine Baked with Crab & Parmesan Recipe
Aubergine and crab might seem an unlikely combination, but are a marriage made in heaven.
The dish makes a filling, but excellent, starter or with a salad can form the centrepiece of a lunch. It can be prepared in advance and reheated.
If you enjoy cooking take a minute to look at http://www.gourmetbritain.com/cookery-wine-schools/32475/simon-scrutton-cookery-classes/ - top-class dishes from beginners upwards
For 4 helpings:
2 medium sized Aubergines, with firm flesh
2 tablespoons (30ml) Olive Oil
1 medium Onion, peeled and finely-chopped
1 clove of Garlic, peeled and finely-chopped
4 ripe Tomatoes, chopped (keep any juices)
360gr/12 oz fresh mixed white & brown Crabmeat (if using frozen crab, squeeze it dry)
Salt & freshly-ground Black Pepper
1 teaspoon Harissa or a few shakes of Tabasco (optional, if you like a little heat)
90gr/3 oz freshly-grated Parmesan
A little freshly-chopped Parsley (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas 4 and line a baking sheet with foil, crinkled so it will support the aubergines.
2. Half the aubergines, then carefully cut around the inside edge of each aubergine half, then make some deep criss-cross slashes, being careful not to pierce the skin.
3. With a spoon, remove the flesh, again being careful not to pierce the skins.
4. Chop the aubergine flesh into 2.5cm/1 in cubes.
5. Heat the oil over a medium heat and add the chopped onion and aubergine flesh and toss them for 3-4 minutes until they soften – you might have to add a little more oil, as the aubergines suck this up.
6. Add the chopped tomatoes and garlic (plus the harissa or Tabasco if using) and cook for a further minute. Season with a little salt & pepper, then remove from the heat.
7. Add the crabmeat and mix well in.
8. Arrange the aubergine cases on the foil covered tray, then share the stuffing mixture between these shells.
9. Sprinkle with the grated cheese.
10. Bake in the heated oven for 30 minutes.
Serve, perhaps sprinkled with a little fresh parsley.