« back to recipes search results
Sardines - grilled
These can either be cooked under a domestic grill or on a barbecue. A little fresh parsley or coriander mixed with lemon zest in the fish's cavities adds interest, but you can omit this if you prefer. Lemon to serve shouldn't be forgotten, as it counteracts the richness of the fish.
Allow a minimum of 2 sardines each, as they'll be popular.
For 12 fish:
12 fresh Sardines, gutted, washed - then patted dry
3 tablespoons (45ml) Olive Oil
A few large sprigs of freshly-chopped Coriander or Parsley
Salt & freshly-ground Black Pepper
Lemon wedges - for serving.
1. Remove the zest from the lemons and put this in a bowl.
2. Squeeze the lemons, adding the juice to the lemon zest.
3. Add your chosen chopped herbs, a little salt & pepper and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil.
4. Mix this together to form a stuffing, then fill the cavities of the fish with this mixture.
5. Just before cooking, brush the fish with the remaining oil, then grill or barbecue for about 3 minutes on each side until the skins are dark brown and slightly crisp.
Serve with lemon wedges.