« back to recipes search results
Jerusalem Artichoke Soup with Hazelnuts
An excellent soup and easy to make.
If you enjoy cooking take a minute to look at http://www.gourmetbritain.com/cookery-wine-schools/32475/simon-scrutton-cookery-classes/ - top-class dishes from beginners upwards
- Suitable for Vegetarians
- Suitable for Vegans
For 6 helpings:
1½ kilos/3 lbs Jerusalem Artichokes – washed but left unpeeled
240g/8 oz Onion, peeled & chopped
2 medium cloves of Garlic, peeled & chopped
1.7 litres/3 pints Chicken or Vegetable Stock
300ml/½ pint Dry White Wine
120g/4 oz Butter
150ml/¼ pint Single Cream
Salt & Pepper
60g/2 oz Hazelnuts
a little chopped Parsley to garnish
1. Heat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/Gas 6, then dry roast the hazelnuts from 10 minutes on a baking sheet. Set aside and cool.
2. Cut the artichokes into a uniform size, so they cook evenly, they cover with water, bring to the boil and simmer until they are tender (about 10 minutes).
3. Drain & discard the water.
4. Melt the butter over a low heat, and 'sweat' the onions until they are soft (about 5 minutes).
5. Add the chopped garlic, and sweat for a further minute.
6. Add the artichokes and cook gently for a few minutes more.
7. Add the stock and wine and continue cooking until the artichokes are very soft and falling apart.
8. Liquidise the soup.
9. Add salt & pepper to taste.
10. Serve with a swirl of cream a scattering of parsley – and the hazelnuts in a bowl to scatter over by the diners.