« back to recipes search results
Mushroom and Walnut Paté Recipe
Mushrooms and walnuts have a tremendous affinity for one another and this clever pat
- Suitable for Vegetarians
- Suitable for Vegans
For 4 generous starters:
4 oz (120g) Onion, peeled
1 medium clove of Garlic, peeled
2 tablespoons Sunflower Oil (or other neutral-tasting variety)
8 oz (240g) Flat Mushrooms (buttons and cups don't have enough flavour to do the paté justice)
a few fresh Marjoram leaves or a few torn Basil leaves (these can be replaced by dried, but the flavour will be different)
1.5oz (45g) Walnut halves or pieces
1. Finely chop the onion and garlic in the food processor, then sweat in the oil over a low heat until they are soft - do not allow to brown.
2. Chop the mushrooms in the processor, a few at a time if necessary - don't over process, the equivalent of 'very-finely-hand-chopped' is what you are seeking, not a paste.
3. Add the mushrooms and your chosen herb to the onions, and continue cooking slowly. They will produce some liquid - so cook until this has disappeared (increasing the heat a little if necessary).
4. Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool for a few minutes.
5. Process the walnuts until they are finely-chopped and then add them to the mushroom mixture.
6. Add salt and freshly-ground pepper to taste, remembering that when completely cold, food loses flavour.
7. Refrigerate until needed.
Serve with warm toast and unsalted butter, and decorate with a few baby salad leaves.