« back to recipes search results
Yoghurt / Yogurt; to make - recipe
To make your own yoghurt, you don't need any fancy machines.
Just follow this easy recipe. It goes without saying, that paricularly when handling dairy products, every thing should be washed and very clean.
I pint Milk - this can be semi skimmed or rich (whichever is your preference)
1 tablespoon (20ml) 'Live' Yoghurt
1. Bring the milk to the boil in a clean saucepan, watching for the last few minutes as it tends to boil over suddenly.
2. Cool to roughly blood heat/body temperature. This can be determined with the aid of a thermometer - 98°F, 37°C - or by judging wether it's roughly the same temperature as your finger.
3. Add the live yoghurt and mix this in thoroughly.
4. Pour the mixture into a clean glass bowl and cover with cling wrap.
5. Place this in a warm place, such as an airing cupboard, or near a central heating boiler, and leave for 10-12 hours.
6. Your yoghurt is now ready, and can be flavoured with a little sweetened fruit purée if you wish.
To make a further batch, simply reserve 1 tablespoon of your first yoghurt, and repeat the process.