« back to recipes search results
Rice - general cooking tips
Helpful general tips.
If you enjoy cooking take a minute to look at http://www.gourmetbritain.com/cookery-wine-schools/32475/simon-scrutton-cookery-classes/ - learn how to make top-class dishes from beginners upwards.
- Suitable for Vegetarians
- Suitable for Vegans
1. Remember that when rice is keep dry, it's a stable safe product, but once wet or cooked needs careful handling and refrigeration. This is because its many surface areas are an easy target for food poisoning bacteria.
2. All rice expands to twice the original size when cooked.
3. If a fluffy texture is required, it's better washed before cooking; but generally, and especially for Eastern dishes it's best unwashed, as the natural starch released during cooking will make the rice coagulate correctly.
4. The best utensil to cook rice is in a large, shallow frying pan with a lid.
5. Always add salt to the water.
6. It's often easier to measure rice by volume and not by weight i.e. in a measuring jug.
7. If worried about the time it takes to cook risotto at a dinner party, par-boil the rice ahead of time (them keep it chilled) - the complete dish can then be finished in about 10 minutes.