« back to recipes search results
Chocolate Tuilles & Baskets
This recipe works best if you make the tuilles/baskets a day ahead, and with all the ingredients at room temperature.
You will also get a better result if the baking tray has been placed in the freezer for 5 minutes before baking.
100g/3 oz Cocoa Powder
500g/1 lb Icing Sugar
400g/12 oz Plain Flour
600g/20 oz Egg Whites
600g/20 oz Butter - melted
Equipment: it's useful to make a round template, about 9cm/3½ ins across. The plastic lid of an ice cream container is perfect. What you basically need, is a flat piece of plastic with a hole cut out of the middle of it.
1. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 160ºC/325ºF/Gas 3.
3. Slowly add the egg whites, mixing continuously.
4. Add the melted butter and mix well.
5. Spread the paste evenly across your template onto your cold baking sheet (or into a round about 9cm/3½ ins). Lift it, and you will be left with a round circle.
6. Bake in the pre-heated oven.
7. Whilst still hot, lift each biscuit with a spatula and shape into a basket around a lightly-buttered cup – or into a tuille round an old wine bottle or rolling pin.
Leave to cool, then keep in an air-tight tin.