« back to recipes search results
Pears Poached in Red Wine Recipe
To be used as a dessert or as an accompaniment to 'Twice-Baked Roquefort Soufflé'.
- Suitable for Vegetarians
- Suitable for Vegans
For 4 helpings:
250g/8 oz Caster Sugar
600ml/1 pint Water
1 small Cinnamon Stick
1 strip of Lemon Zest, without any pith
1 strip of Orange Zest, without any pith
300ml/½ pint Red Wine
1. Make a light syrup by combining the sugar and water in a stainless steel pan, bringing it to the boil and simmering gently it for 15 minutes.
2. Add the cinnamon, lemon & orange zest and the red wine.
3. Peel the pears and cut them in half. Carefully cutting out the cores, without losing a nice shape.
4. Place the pears in the poaching liquid and cover with a cartouche (a piece of greasproof paper cut to size).
5. Simmer until soft - watching carefully, as this will vary greatly with the ripeness of your pears.
6. Leave the pears to cool in the liquid.