« back to recipes search results
Sherry Trifle Recipe
Good basic trifle without any frills.
If you enjoy cooking take a minute to look at ‘Simon Scrutton Cookery Classes’ on Google – and learn how to make top class bistro-style dishes. Suitable for beginners upwards.
For 10 small helpings:
16 Trifle Sponge Cakes
120g/4 oz Strawberry or similar Jam
about 454g/1 lb tinned, sliced, Peaches + 4 tablespoons (60ml) of their juice
4 tablespoons (60ml) Amontillado Sherry
2 tablespoons (30ml) Nibbed Almonds
600ml/1 pint made-up Custard
200ml/½ pint Double Cream
60g/2 oz small Macaroons
1. Split the sponge cakes in half. Lengthways, spread them with a layer of jam and sandwich them together.
2. Cut the sponge cakes into 1cm/½ in slices and arrange them over the base of a shallow glass dish.
3. Drain the peach slices, set ten aside for decoration and arrange the remainder, two slices together, upright around and between the sponge cake – so the peaches stand above the sponge.
4. Sprinkle the Sherry and peach juice over the sponge.
5. Prepare the custard.
6. Scatter the almonds over the sponge cakes and peaches, and spoon the warm custard over them.
7. Cover the dish with foil and refrigerate until cold.
8. Whisk the cream until it just holds its shape and spoon it over the custard.
Swirl the cream with a knife and decorate with peach slices and macaroons.