« back to recipes search results
Cep / Porcini or 'Forest Mix' Sauce
Very good with chicken, steak or with mushroom risotto.
Or can be added to 500g of cooked rice to make a good 'cheats' risotto for 4 generous starters.
For 4 people as a main course or to mix in with rice as 'risotto':
50g Dried Cep/Porcini or 'Forest Mix' - we recommend those from www.gourmetherbs.co.uk (http://www.gourmetherbs.co.uk)
120g Shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
20cl Noilly Prat
250cl Chicken Stock
25cl Double Cream
1 tablespoon (15ml) fresh Chives, chopped
a small Squeeze of Lemon
Salt & Pepper - to taste. This will largely depend on the seasonings in your stock
1. Soak the dried mushrooms in very hot water for about 30 minutes, then strain them reserving half the juices.
2. Melt the butter in a stainless steel pan, add the shallots and cook slowly until transparent, but not coloured.
3. Add the ceps/porcini without any of their liquid, the add the Noilly Prat and cook for about a minute.
4. Add the stock and reduce by half by gently simmering.
5. Add the cream.
6. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Check the seasoning for salt & pepper.
8. Remove from the heat, add the chives and a squeeze of lemon - plus the saved cep/porcini soaking liquid.
Serve as a sauce, or if using for a risotto, chop the mushroom pieces more finely before adding to about 500g cooked rice.