« back to recipes search results
Lemon Tart Recipe
Excellent tarts, good enough to grace any dinner party.
If you enjoy cooking take a minute to look at http://www.gourmetbritain.com/cookery-wine-schools/32475/simon-scrutton-cookery-classes/ - top-class dishes from beginners upwards
For two 20cm/8 in fluted tart tins, with loose bottoms if possible:
1 batch of our Pate Sucrée pastry (q.v.). Don't let this put you off, it is very quick if you have a food processor
For the Filling:
8 medium Eggs
360g/12 oz Caster Sugar
350ml/12 fl oz Lemon Juice
225ml/8 fl oz Orange Juice
Grated Zest of 4 Lemons
90g/3 oz Butter
8 tablespoons (120ml) Double Cream
4 extra Lemons, to decorate (optional)
Icing Sugar - to decorate
1. Line the tins with the pate sucrée, and prick the bottom of the pastry with a fork. Chill for a minimum of 30 minutes.
2. Heat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/Gas 6.
3. Prick the bottom of the pastry with a fork, line with greaseproof paper then fill with dried beans or raw rice.
4. Bake 'blind' (with its bean/rice filling) in the pre-heated oven for 10-15 minutes.
5. Take out the greaseproof paper and beans, and cool in the tin on a wire rack.
6. Reset the oven to 190ºC/375ºF/Gas 5.
7. Place the eggs, sugar, lemon juice, orane juice & lemon zest in a bowl and beat well together.
8. Melt the butter with the cream in a big saucepan over a low heat.
9. Add the egg mixture and continue cooking until it thickens, stirring constantly - don't allow to boil.
10. Transfer this custard to a bowl. Cover with buttered greaseproof paper and allow to cool.
11. Pour the custard into the flan cases (still in their tins) and place them on the middle shelf of the reset oven, and bake for 20 minutes.
12. Peel the extra lemons (if using) with a small, sharp, knife and detach the fleshy segments from their tough membranes.
13. Arrange these around the top of the tart - one over each perceived helping.
14. Cover the pastry edges with tin foil, and sift icing sugar very generously over the filling.
15. Place under a pre-heated grill for 1 minute or until the top is glazed.
16. Remove the foil from the rim of the flan tin and serve the tart warm.