« back to recipes search results
Garlic - How to Grow
Can be grown in flower pots or a window box.
If you enjoy cooking take a minute to look at http://www.gourmetbritain.com/cookery-wine-schools/32475/simon-scrutton-cookery-classes/ - top-class dishes from beginners upwards
A few garlic bulbs.
1. Choose bulbs of fresh Garlic which have big cloves, as they are more likely to produce good garlic.
2. Small inner cloves sometimes only produce a single bulb.
3. November is the best month for planting, planting in the Spring will yield smaller bulbs.
4. Divide the garlic head/s and choose undamaged cloves; plant these 5cm/2 ins deep and 15cm/6 ins apart in a well drained sunny position.
5. Keep the bulbs well watered and free of weeks.
6. When the plants flower in the early summer, remove the heads so that the strength stays in the bulb.
7. When the tops start yellowing in July, the crop is ready for harvesting.
8. Lift the bulbs carefully, as they bruise easily; cut off the roots and dry on racks, or tied up by their stalks.
9. Store in a cool place with plenty of air circulating around them, they will sprout if kept at over 20ºC/70ºC.
They can keep for many months.