« back to recipes search results
Lemon Syllabub Recipe
Although simple to prepare, this dessert is so often tasteless and second rate. This recipe quickly produces a dish which is neither.
The syllabub keeps well in the fridge, but keep it well sealed to make sure it doesn't take on a taste. A little liquid might 'leak' out of the cream, but this can be stirred back in.
If you enjoy cooking take a minute to look at http://www.gourmetbritain.com/cookery-wine-schools/32475/simon-scrutton-cookery-classes/ - top-class dishes from beginners upwards
For 6 helpings:
568ml/1 pint Double Cream
3-4 Lemons, depending on size
75ml/3 fl oz Medium Sherry
120g/4 oz Caster Sugar
1. Grate the lemons to remove their zest, set this aside.
2. Warm the lemons a little in a microwave. This will release more of their juice.
3. Squeeze the lemons, sieving the juice.
4. Beat the cream until thick.
5. Add the lemon zest, juice, sugar and Sherry to the cream and mix well together.
Chill and serve - a tuile or brandy snap (both q.v's) transforms this into a dinner party dish.