« back to recipes search results
Squid - how to clean
If you are presented with fresh squid, but have no fishmonger to prepare them for you, this is how to proceed.
1. Grip the squid body in one hand and the head and tenticles in the other.
2. Pull apart - the head section should come away easily and bring some of the interior white gubbins including the transparent 'quill'. Throw all this away.
3. Remove the red veil-like skin from the body under a slow-running cold tap and wash out any of the remaining white bits inside the sack.
4. This sack section is now ready to cut into rings, or fill with your favourite stuffing.
5. Now, look carefully at the head/tenticle section & you will see a longish ink sac - dark in colour - showing through the skin. Remove this and put it/them in a bowl.
6. Then remove the tenticles from the head, as close to you can to the eyes - throw the head away and you are left with the tenticles which are ready to cook - but if they are large perhaps cut them into segments.
Squid needs to be keep refrigerated, and needs cooking within a few days.