« back to recipes search results
Horseradish Dumplings Recipe
Excellent dumplings to enliven any stew - particularly one made with beef.
They are easy to make, and just need adding to your casserole for the last 20 minutes of its cooking time.
They can be vegetarian if using Vegetarian Suet.
For 6 dumplings:
60g/2 oz Fresh Breadcrumbs (easily made in a food processor)
60g/2 oz Plain flour
60g/2 oz of Shredded Suet
½ teaspoon (3ml) Baking Powder
a little Salt & Pepper
1 medium Egg, lightly beaten
6 teaspoons (180ml) your favourite Horseradish Sauce
1. Mix the breadcrumbs, flour suet & baking powder and season lightly with salt & pepper.
2. Add the egg, and mix until you have a dough - adding a few teaspoons of milk or water if necessary.
3. Sprinkle a little flour on the worksurface, the roll the mixture into a sausage shape, and then divide this into 6 equal portions.
4. Using a little more flour if necessary, roll into balls, and make a hole in the side of each.
5. Share the horesradish between the dumpling holes - covering them over to seal when you have finished.
6. Put to one side until needed, then add the dumplings to a casserole about 20 minutes before serving.