« back to recipes search results
Skate with Black Butter Sauce
Both easy to make and delicious if you're a fish lover.
For 4 helpings:
4 pieces of skate wing, each weighing 10-12 oz/]300-350gr
1 tablespoon (15ml) Vegetable or light Olive Oil
4 oz/120gr Butter
2 tablespoons (30ml) White Wine or Cider Vinegar
2 tablespoons (30ml) Capers, drained from their brine and rinsed in cold water
a little chopped Parsley – for decoration
a few grinds of freshly-grated Black Pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6
2. Lightly oil 4 individual sheets of tin foil.
3. Lightly season each piece of fish with a light salt and black pepper, then make a foil parcel to contain each helping.
4. Put these on a baking/roasting tray and cook in the oven for 15 minutes. Turn the oven off.
5. Remove the parcels from the oven and transfer to the fish to an ovenproof dish, return this to the oven covered by one or more] of the pieces of foil – leaving the door slightly ajar.
6. To make the Black Butter – melt the butter in a frying pan over a medium heat, watching it all the time – it's important it goes nut brown, but doesn't burn.
7. As soon as it starts to 'turn', remove it from the heat and add the vinegar and capers.
8. Pour this over the skate wings and serve sprinkled with a little chopped parsley.