Find this good hotel restaurant just up the road from the sea.
They offer good bar food, dishes ranging from fish & chips to more sophisticated items, and a Children's menu; but also have smart dining rooms one with a Victorian feel, the other 'The Sunshine', more contemporary and with its own conservatory.
The cooking style is simply, allowing the true flavour of, mainly local, seasonal ingredients to shine through. Indeed the hotel has its own farm New Close, near Carisbrooke and many of the vegetables and herbs used are grown there.
Starters such as 'Spider Crab Risotto with Fennel Sauce' and 'New Close Farm Rabbit Tortellini' set the style; perhaps to be followed by 'Isle of Wight Beef, Cottage Pie, Carrot Purée and Beef Sauce'; 'Line caught Sea Bass, sautéed Little Gem, Pancetta & Red Wine Sauce' or 'Grilled Goats' Cheese with Pickled Beetroot & home-dried Tomato Salad'.
Equal care is taken with their desserts, with maybe 'Sticky Toffee Pudding, Butterscotch Sauce & Date Ice Cream' and 'Dark Chocolate Mousse with White Chocolate Ice Cream & Milk Chocolate Sauce' on offer. While those with a more savoury tooth, should enjoy their selection of the islands farmhouse cheeses.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: all week, 12.00-14.30; mains about £17 to £22
- Dinner: all week, 18.30-21.30; set Dfrom £21; mains about £17 to £22
- Seats: 80, plus 25 outside
- Wine: an interesting list has fair mark-ups
- Children's portions: Children's Menu
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page
- Parking: Yes, to the rear of the hotel
- Closed: check Christmas openings
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating
- Rooms available