Find this smart restaurant and separate bar near the top of the impressive Urbis building. Access is via a dedicated lift, and once there the views over the city are impressive. It occupies the space which originally-housed the Le Mont operation, but is now less formal and has more reasonable pricing ambitions under this guise.
The kitchen bills itself as 'using local produce whenever possible', but while following this fashion the menu is in danger of reading like a list from Mr. Macgregor's garden - however all seems to work, and the kitchens sourcing ability is to be commended.
A summer snapshot brought 'Heritage Tomato, Beetroot & Cheshire Watercress Salad with Cider Vinaigrette'; 'Duck Liver Paté with Red Onion Marmalade'; 'Braised Veal Tongue with Caramelised Onion Purée with a Radish & Parsley Leaf Salad' and 'Soused Orkney Herrings with Pommery Mustard Dressing & Anya Potato Salad' among the starters.
'Homity Pie with Cauliflower Purée & Herb Leaf Salad'; 'Roast Leg of Rabbit, Stuffed with Lemon Thyme & Onions'; 'Confit of Goosnagh Chicken Leg, Sage & Onion Mash, Spring Onion & Caraway'; 'Oven-Roast Cheshire Rib-Eye Steak with Red-Wine-Braised Shallots & Marrow with Beef Dripping Chips' and 'Grilled Line-Caught Shetland Cod with Salted Cod Cakes and Sorrel & Nettle Cream Sauce' listed among the mains.
Those with a sweet tooth will be tempted by the likes of 'Valhrona Chocolate & Malt Whisky Tart with Hazelnut & Caramel Ice Cream'; 'Eccles Cakes with Lancashire Cheese' and 'Chilled Buttermilk & Vanilla Posset with Cheshire Summer Berries'
Sunday lunch brings the popular addition of a whole roast chicken which can be shared amongst a table.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: all week 12.00-15.00; L Sun incl. £25.00 per table Roast Chicken deal (enquire for details); mains £9.00 to £22.00 (plus lighter Bar Menu)
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 17.00-22.00 (longer hours for Bar); pre-theatre menu £15.00 (2 courses), £18.00 (3 courses); mains £9.00 to £22.00
- Seats: 64
- Wine: a well-chosen list travels the world, kicking off at £15.30
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Manchester Victoria Rail
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page. Opposite Victoria Station
- Closed: D Sun
- Air conditioned