If seeking French food, this must be one of the best restaurants in the British Isles - but modern twists, to tempt the palate are also offered. A tented conservatory is the main dining area.
The cooking takes painstaking attention to detail - maybe begin with a 'Salad of Cornish Crab' (bound with a gingered yoghurt dressing), 'Scottish Langoustines with Perigord Truffles'; 'Foie Gras and Duck Confit Terrine' or 'Quail Egg Ravioli with wild Mushrooms and Truffles'.
Perhaps follow with the likes of 'Milk-fed Devonshire Lamb with baby Leeks and caramelised Sweetbreads', 'Roast Partridge with Black Pudding' or some of their excellent fish dishes - such as 'Pan-seared Cornish Monkfish, Braised Fennel and Lemongrass Fregola'. Flavours are clear and precise. If having lunch, a walk around the Japanese garden, and a peak at the vegetable garden is recommended.
Desserts are truly impressive, 'Tiramisu with Cocoa Sauce and Coffee-Bean Ice Cream' and 'Apple Soufflé, flavoured with Calvados, inside a hollowed out Apple' setting the style.
It's also very hard to resist their excellent French cheeses - all in peak condition.
For a special treat, you can do no better, than a stay in one of their luxurious bedrooms or suites. An occasion you'll never forget.
- Food Style: Modern French
- Lunch: all week, 12.00-14.15; set L Mon to Fri from £79 (5 courses) to £124 (7 courses); mains about £42 to £48
- Dinner: all week, 19.00-20.45; set D £134 (6 courses) to £154 (9 courses); mains about £42 to £48
- Seats: 90
- Wine: A large, and impressive, wine list, kicks off in the mid £30's - the price range isn't for the faint hearted, but there are plenty of options offered by the glass.
- Children's portions: When possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes (but not lavatory)
- Nearest station: Oxford Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page - or leave the M40 at junction 7, and take the A329 towards Wallingford. After about 2km turn left, signposted Great Milton Manor.
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: enquire about Christmas
- Air conditioned
- Rooms available