Although tables are fairly cramped, this is one of the best of the 80 or so Chinese restaurants crammed into this area, and also very reasonably priced.
The extensive à la carte menu, specialising in Cantonese dishes from the East River, includes all the traditional favourites, and other delicious temptations, such as Satay Eel, Spicy Salted Squid or Paper-wrapped Chili Spare Ribs; plus parts of the body not suitable for the squeamish (perhaps, deep-fried stuffed pig's intestine), all at very reasonable prices. The list of these specials might not automatically produced (so ask) - it's really designed for the Chinese themselves (so all the better for that).
A selection of braised 'pot dishes' is particularly mouth-watering. Good vegetarian options. Food arrives with remarkable speed, but there's no pressure to leave, even if queues stretch down the road.
There are no desserts.
The restaurant is on three floors, but choose a table on the ground floor if possible.
- Food Style: Chinese
- Lunch: all week, 12.00-2.45am (Sun 1.45am); Set L from £19 (2 courses); mains about £8 to £14
- Dinner: all week, 12.00-2.45am (Sun 1.45am); Set D from £19 (2 courses - for a minimum of two people); mains about £8 to £14
- Seats: 110
- Wine: A short wine list has modest mark ups
- Nearest station: Leicester Square Underground
- Directions: See the mapon this page - or from Piccadilly, go up Shaftesbury Avenue, 2nd right into Wardour Street, 1st left (after the Chinese Gates) into Lisle Street - the restaurant is half way along on the left.
- Parking: NCP or street parking
- Closed: Four days at Christmas
- Air conditioned