This top-class restaurant with rooms has a romantic view over the wooded River Terne, it overlooks the weir, and was once part of the castle corn mill. The four to seven course menu is 'set' - the only choice coming at dessert stage. However, they try to operate a system of likes and dislikes, but you will have to be flexible about the 'likes'.
An Amuse Bouche might be followed by likes of soup (a Summer menu listed 'Spicy Tomato with Sweet Butternut Foam', then perhaps 'Foie Gras custard with sweetcorn cream and a sesame glaze', then generally a fish dish (perhaps 'Pavé of Halibut on Crunchy Greens with Lemon Grass & Ginger Broth'), meat forms the centre point - maybe March Lamb, Périgord Duck breast or Mortimer Forest Venison - each accompanied by appropriate and delicious vegetables.
Then a little pre-dessert before a small choice of excellent desserts - perhaps 'Lemon Tart with Orange and Mascarpone Ice Cream'; 'Chocolate in a Filo Pastry Tart' or 'Hot Apple Strudel'.
The cooking standards are high, and service is friendly and professional .
- Lunch: Closed
- Dinner: Weds-Sun, 19.15-20.15; Set D £59.50 (8 courses)
- Seats: 30, plus 30 seats outside
- Wine: A well-thought-out wine list kicks off at around the £20 mark and plenty by the glass
- Children's portions: No children under 8
- Wheelchair access: With difficulty and not lavatory
- Nearest station: Ludlow
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page - or from Castle Square, with the castle in front, turn left , and go around the castle. Turn right just before the bridge, and you'll find the restaurant on the left.
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: Lunch all week, Mon & Tues, 1 week in Jan, 1 week in July
- Outside eating
- Rooms available