This country house hotels dining room is light and airy, and has good views towards Bleasedale Fell. The cooking standards are high, and the menu full of interest.
Starters might include the likes of Oyster tempura with deep-fried Seaweed and Chili Aïoli; 'Southport Shrimp Organic Porridge with Tomato Relish'; 'Black Pudding and Pink Trout Salad, 'Smoked English Eel, Crushed Organic Potatoes, Cooked Hens Egg' or perhaps a plate of local charcuterie with home-made pickles.
For mains, perhaps Monkfish with cockles, a salsify fritter and a butter bean velouté; 'Potato-wrapped Goosnargh Chicken Breast, with its wheels steamed, on a Mushroom Purée' or Lamb with Couscous and Pesto.
Desserts stretch from the traditional, such as Bread and Butter Pudding to Eccles cake Soufflé with Orange Peel and Tea Ice Cream. Excellent bread and Petits Fours are a bonus. As many local ingredients as possible are used.
No mobile phones.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: all week, 12.00-13.30 (Sun 14.00); Mon-Sat set L £29.50 (3 courses); set L Sun £36 (4 courses) - children £15.00; mains from £29 to £36
- Dinner: all week, 19.00-21.30 (Sat 22.00); Set Gourmet D £60 (5 courses); Tasting Menu £85 (7 courses); mains about £29 to £36
- Seats: 60
- Wine: An enormous wine list kicks off in the mid £20's and makes interesting reading. They offer a good selection by the glass.
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Blackburn
- Directions: See the map on this page - or at junction 31 of the M6, take the A59, taking the signs for Clitheroe. At the first traffic lights, turn left onto the Skipton/Clitheroe road. Continue for about 14km/9 miles, then turn left into Northcote Road. The hotel is on the right.
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: Sat L; 25th Dec, 1st Jan, Bank Holiday Mondays
- Rooms available