Find this excellent restaurant close to the village centre and set back from the road, the Old Vicarage is a substantial Victorian house surrounded by lawns and mature trees. The welcome is warm and the décor is pleasingly unfussy in a country-house style with a charming drawing-room and sitting area where pre-dinner drinks and wonderful canapés are served. The dining room, candle-lit at night, is decorated in soft pastel shades offset by beautiful oil paintings and verdant prospects of the garden, creating a romantic and elegant setting.
Tessa Bramley and Nathan Smith have honed the menu here over many years, and the end product is the best food for many miles around.
After an amuse bouche to whet your appetite, starters might include the likes of Casserole of Crayfish and Scallop, infused with Cardamom, Cumin and Lemon Grass' (served with Fennel Bread); 'Risotto of Wild Mushrooms and Rocket with Rosemary' and 'Sevruga Caviar with Lavender-Smoked Fillet of Cod'.
Perhaps to be followed by 'Rack of Chatsworth Lamb with a Chervil and Lemon Crust, Vanilla Couscous with Apricots and Roasted Sweet Peppers'; 'Crisp Roasted Fillet of Wild Sea Bass on New Potato Galette, Salad of Dressed Whitby Crab and Mango, with Muscat Sauce' or 'Roasted Fillet of Aberdeen Angus on Nutmeg Mash, Caramelised Shallots and Swede Purée, with an Oxtail Sauce'.
Maybe finish with 'Baked Chocolate Pudding with Chocolate Fudge Sauce and English Custard'; 'Gooseberry Crème Brulée with Gooseberry and Elderflower Sorbet with Caramelised Hazelnuts' or some of their excellent British Cheeses.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Tues-Fri 12.30-14.30; set L £40 (3 courses)
- Dinner: Tues-Sat 18.30-21.30; set D £75 (4 courses)
- Seats: 46, plus about 20 outside
- Wine: an excellent list kicks off at around the £28 mark and around 2 dozen by the glass
- Children's portions: Yes
- Wheelchair access: Yes (including lavatory)
- Nearest station: Woodhouse Rail
- Directions: Telephone for precise directions, or see the map on this page.
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: all Sun & Mon, Sat L; 26th Dec to 5th Jan, 2 weeks Aug. Bank Holiday Mon & Tues.
- Outside eating
- Rooms available