Find this smart Castle House Hotel, originally a Georgian town house, down a quiet back street. It holds (among other things) this rather formal restaurant with its crisp napery, ideal for that special occasion.
Starters offered include the likes of a 'Casserole of Oysters and Spring Onions with Smoked Salmon Feuilleté'; 'Thai Risotto with Frogs Legs in Tempura Batter' or various terrines with in-house chutneys.
Mains might include to likes of 'Duck Confit with Sauerkraut'; 'Fillet of Beef with a Sweet Potato Dauphinoise' or 'Cajan-spiced Cod with Pak Choy and Lemon Grass Soubise'.
Desserts are more homely 'Sticky Toffee Pudding' and 'Whisky Parfait with Caramelised Bitter Oranges' being good examples.
The 'Bar & Bistro' offers good sandwiches & light main courses.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: all week, 12.30-14.00; mains about £13 to £26; Set L Sun only £26 (3 courses)
- Dinner: all week 19.00-22.00 (Sun 21.00) mains about £13 to £26; Tasting Menu £49.95
- Seats: 36, plus 24 outside
- Wine: An interesting wine list, hasmodest mark-ups, is based around France, and has plenty of choice under £20.
- Children's portions: Yes
- Wheelchair access: Yes (including lavatory)
- Nearest station: Hereford Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page.
- Parking: Yes, but limited
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating
- Rooms available