What was built as a hotel for passengers using the ocean going liners is now a nicely turned-out brasserie/bar with comfortable rooms.
The menu changes with the seasons and includes locally-made sausages, fish and seasonal game, while the menu mixes the simple with the more sophisticated.
Starters such as 'Chicken Liver Parfait with Fig Jam'; 'Gravadlax with Orange & Fennel'; 'Half Pint of shell-on Greenland Prawns' and a selection of antipasti set the style.
There are various salads such as'Caesar' and main courses such as 'Linguini of Lobster & Crab, Tomato & Basil'; 'Risotto of Asparagus & Lemon'; 'Beer-battered Fish, Pea Purée & Chips' and 'Aged Sirloin Steak, Red Wine Butter & Chips'.
While a few well-executed desserts such as 'Vanilla & Raspberry Crème Brulée' and 'Warm Hazelnut Brownie & Vanilla Ice Cream' or British cheeses, might tempt you if you still have room.
Sunday brunch is particularly popular.
- Food Style: Brasserie
- Lunch: Mon-Thurs 12.00-14.30, Fri & Sat 12.00-15.00, Sun 12.00-21.00; mains £7 to £18.95
- Dinner: Mon-Thurs 18.30-21.30, Fri & Sat 12.00-15.00, Sun 12.00-21.00; mains £10 to £18.95
- Seats: 75, plus 25 outside
- Wine: a concise list kicks off at £10.00
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Nearest station: Woolston or Southampton Town Quay Rail
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page.
- Parking: Street parking
- Closed: 25th & 26th Dec, 1st Jan
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating
- Rooms available