« back to restaurants search results
Ram Inn FirleThe Street, Firle, Nr. Lewes, East Sussex, BN8 6NS
A cosy country pub, under the lee of the downs (so ideal for walkers) - with both bare wooden and tiled floors, polished wooden tables and, in winter open fires. The pub still possesses a village feel, as the recently upgraded menu hasn't frightened away the locals.
For a shared snack there are snacking 'Boards' such as 'Local Artisan Bread with Dipping Oils' to 'Baked Vacherin Mont D'Or with Roast Garlic Bulb & Chips'; plus various 'Ploughman's' and filled rolls - and as things stand, these are the best option.
The main menu is ambitious - especially for premises with no passing trade - and too often the menu reads better than the end result. We have had more than one complaint of tepid food - this becoming cold before the friendly but disorganised service provides cutlery! (Fatal with Straw Fries). As in the case of many grand restaurants, it's easy to write an attractive menu, not so easy to deliver the goods. A dish listed entitled 'Cassoulet', illustrates this point - consisting basically of baked beans with chili powder - and this added in a insensitive over-enthusiastic manner.
A more recent winter inspection listed starters ranging from Homemade Soup - such as 'Spiced Parsnip' - through 'Wild Mushrooms on Toast' and 'Springs Smoked Salmon' to 'Clam & Chorizo Tagliatelle with Gremolata'.
Followed by 'Roast Breast & Confit Leg of Firle Pheasant with Celeriac Mash, Fine Beans & Chasseur Sauce'; 'Locally-made Pork & Leek Sausages' with Mash, Savoy Cabbage & Red Wine Gravy'; 'Pan-Fried Local Cod Fillet with Sautéed New Potatoes, Steamed Curly Kale and Anchovy & Caper Butter' and 'Sussex Beef & Lamb's Kidney Braised in Harvey's Old Ale with Horseradish Dumplings, Coronation Mash & Red Cabbage amongst the mains.
Puds such as Sticky Toffee Pudding complete the picture.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Food served: Mon-Fri 12.00-15.00, then 18.30-21.30; Sat 12.00-21-30; Sun 12.00-18.00
- Dinner: Mains from £10.95 - £14.75
- Wine: A carefully-chosen short selection
- Children's portions: Yes when possible - plus short menu
- Wheelchair access: Yes (but not lavatory)
- Nearest station: Glynde
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page - or from Lewes, take the A27 going East towards Eastbourne. After about 3 miles continue along this road at the A26 turnoff. After about a mile, take a small right turn, signposted Firle Place. Continue past the house entrance, and the pub is ½ mile further on the left.
- Parking: Yes, but limited