This restaurant is set in a splendid, castle-style, Victorian country house hotel. The airy dining room has crisp white napery and candles during the evening.
Starters might include like likes of 'Crab Tian with Sautéed Scallops'; 'Beetroot-Cured Salmon with Cucumber Sorbet, Beetroot Jelly & Oyster Vinaigrette' or 'Breast of Wood Pigeon with home-made Black Pudding, Veal Sweetbread and Jerusalem Artichokes'.
Perhaps to followed by 'Breast of Duck with its Liver and a Confit of Belly Pork'; 'Slow-Braised Neck of Lamb with Roast Shoulder, Root Vegetables and Onion Purée' and 'Pan-Roasted Red Mullet with Spinach, Poached Potatoes, Orange & Fennel, Langoustines & Bisque Sauce'. Venison from the estate is a speciality.
Maybe round off your meal with 'Lemon Tart with Raspberry Sorbet'; 'Granny Smith - apple mousse, apple crisp, bergamot syrup & lemon sorbet' or 'Peanut and Banana Iced Parfait with a baby Banana Tatin and a Banana Milkshake'.
Smart dress is requested.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Tues-Sun 12.30-14.00; set L Mon-Sat £21.50 (two courses), £25 (3 courses); Sun £28. A bar menu is also available
- Dinner: all week 19.00-21.30 (22.00 Fri-Sat); Set D from £52, Tasting Menu £60 (7 courses)
- Seats: 60, plus 20 outside
- Wine: An excellent wine list is arranged by style. House wine around the £20 mark
- Children's portions: Yes, Children's Menu
- Wheelchair access: Yes (including lavatory)
- Nearest station: Thirsk or Northallerton Rail (about 13 miles)
- Directions: On B6267, follow the brown signs for the hotel - see the map at the top of this page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: check Christmas openings
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating
- Rooms available