Find this splendid hotel/health and country club/restaurant, set in 53 acres on the edge of the New Forest. The stylish’ conservatory’ restaurant – with a tented ceiling, overlooks the well-kept gardens.
Chef, Luke Matthews, heads an experienced kitchen team, and offers a menu closely following the seasons.
Lunchtime brings a short, but interesting, menu offering starters such as ‘Crispy Tiger Prawns with Chili Relish, Cucumber & Samphire Salad’ & ‘Smoked Duck & Artichoke Tart with Endive Jam, Pickled St George Mushrooms & Watercress’ -whilst Monday to Saturday each brings a different “Great British Dish of the Day’ – Monday Shepherd’s Pie, Tuesday Haddock & Salmon Fishcakes, Wednesday Calves Liver, Mash & Onion Jus etc.
The evening brings more ambitious dining with the likes of 'Double-Baked Emmenthal Soufflé'; ‘Hand-Dived Scallops with Cauliflower, Pine Nuts & Parmesan and ‘Salt Beef Salad with Pickled Lebanese Cucumber, Quail’s Egg. Mustard Seed & Clementine Dressing’ amongst the starters.
Depending on the season, perhaps ‘Slow-Cooked Ox Cheek with Celeriac & Horseradish and Oxtail Cromesquis’; ‘Sea Bass with Artichokes, wild mushrooms, pak choi, bacon and mash – in a white wine sauce’; 'Loin of Hampshire Lamb, Confit of Neck, Butternut Squash & Goats' Cheese, Aubergine Pickle & Saffron' and ‘Beef tournedos with a Mushroom crust, Asparagus and Madeira jus’ – plus Steaks and other items from the Grill to follow.
Desserts, such as 'Praline Crème Brulée with Pear Williams Sorbet' and 'Hot Chocolate & Raspberry Fondant, with White Chocolate Ice Cream & Espresso Granita' are excellent as is the Cheese trolley. Service is slick and professional. Jackets preferred.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: all week 12.00-14.00; Set L Mon-Sat from £26.50 (3 courses), Sun £39.50 (3 courses)
- Dinner: all week 18.00-21.30 (Fri & Sat 22.00); mains about £21 to £42; Tasting Menu £70
- Seats: 150, plus about 100 outside
- Wine: The enormous wine list is impressive, having over 500 bins, kicking off at around the £30 mark; including about a dozen by the glass
- Children's portions: Children's helpings when possible, but no children under 5
- Wheelchair access: Yes, including lavatory
- Nearest station: New Milton Rail
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page
- Parking: Yes
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating
- Rooms available