Although only consisting of two small cottages, this is one of Britain's best restaurants, especially for those seeking a sense of adventure. The modest exterior hides a comfortable dining room with crisp napery. On the food front,chef/proprietor, Heston Blumenthal, produces the most unlikely combinations, many created in his experimental 'laboratory'. The restaurant is a 'Once in a Lifetime' - must visit, for serious food lovers.
The constantly-changing menu might offer the likes of 'Cauliflower risotto with Cauliflower carpaccio and Chocolate jelly' or 'Crab millefeuille with roasted Foie Gras' as starters. While a tasting menu might offer 'Snail Porridge'.
Perhaps to be followed by 'Salt-crusted Veal Sweetbreads', 'Grilled Scallops with Cauliflower Purée and small cubes of Oloroso Sherry Jelly and a Marinated Cep' or 'Pot-roast Pork, with truffled Macaroni'.
Desserts are dishes you'd never make at home - 'Bacon and Egg Ice Cream'; 'Macerated Strawberries are dusted with grated Cheese and come with Black Olive and Leather Purée and 'Space-dust in a Chocolate pudding', are good examples. Friendly, but knowledgeable and professional service. The whole thing is an experience not to be missed, even if it means a special journey - and a bit of saving!
No mobile phones.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Tues-Sun, 12.00-14.00 (14.30 Sun) Menu £220
- Dinner: Tues-Sat, 19.00-21.30; Tasting Menu £220
- Seats: 40
- Wine: An enormous wine list is almost bedtime reading, but not on the bargain side - kicking off at around £40. There are, however, over 20 offered by the glass - but even these will set you back by about £11.
- Children's portions: Yes, whenever possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Maidenhead Rail
- Directions: leave the M4 at junction 8/9 (signposted Maidenhead), take the A308 towards Windsor, then turn left into Bray. The pub is in the centre of the village. See the map on this page.
- Parking: Car parks in the village
- Closed: All Mon, D Sun, about 2 weeks at Christmas
- Air conditioned