The Winner of our Best Ethnic Restaurant Award for 2009
This excellent Chinese restaurant, housed on two floors of an old warehouse, can be spotted by its huge red banners, that flutter in the wind. Inside, the whole place is quite a spectacle - with tanks of live fish and shellfish (carp, eels and lobsters). It's among the best Chinese restaurants in Britain, and worth a special trip.
Cooking is in the style of Canton (including two dozen or so noodles in soup dishes). All the items Chinese food lovers are familiar with are listed, plus others less familiar.
They also offer 'Da Bin Loi' (seldom seen in this country) - this is a divided steamer containing soy and vegetable soups, and is placed on the table and kept hot by a gas burner. In addition, you are brought chili oil, chili soya and oyster sauce to complement the chosen fresh ingredients - perhaps finely-diced sirloin steak, king prawns, sliced chicken breast, won to, fresh greens and Japanese noodles - which you cook yourself by dipping into the liquid.
They are justly proud of enormous range of dim sum, which stretch from 'Wind-Dried Oyster Parcel' through 'Salt and Pepper Ribs', to 'Steamed Ox Tripe' - there are about 40 offerings (more on Sunday). Vegetarians have a large choice all round.
Booking is advisable, except for Sunday lunch, when you have to join the queue (we advise you arrive at around 11.40). A stay in Manchester isn't complete without a visit here!
- Food Style: Chinese
- Lunch: All week, 12.00-22.45 (Fri & Sat 21.45); set L from £27.50 (min.2 people) main courses about £11 to £32. Banquets from £29.50 per person; Dim Sum pieces from about £4
- Dinner: All week, 12.00-22.45 (Fri & Sat 21.45); set D from £27.50; main courses about $11 to £32. Banquets from £29.50 per person
- Seats: 230
- Wine: A good value wine list kicks off with house wine at about £20
- Wheelchair access: Yes, also lavatory
- Nearest station: Manchester Piccadilly or Manchester Oxford Road Rail
- Directions: In the centre of the city, Princes Street leads off Albert Square. See the map on this page
- Parking: Public car park nearby
- Closed: 25th Dec