This splendid building, high above the River Thames, was once the country home of the Astor’s. The building and 350 acres of parklands are owned by The National Trust, but the hotel and restaurant privately-run.
André Garrett has taken over the reins at what was the Terrace Restauant, and this is the hotels restaurant flagship. The splendid, light-filled, dining room – with six sets of French Windows - overlooks the parterie & gardens going down to the distant River Thames.
The food is of a high standard – a short seasonal menu offered the likes of 'Pumpkin Soup with Amaretto Biscuit & Chestnut Foam'; Rabbit Terrine with Celeriac Rémoulade, Horseradish Purée & Soda Bread'; 'Seared Scallops Wrapped in Alsace Pancetta with Pea Purée, Watercress Salad & Vanilla Oil' and 'Terrine of Autumn Vegetables with Broad Bean Dressing & Mixed Leaves' on a autumn starters snapshot.
This was followed by 'Slow-Roast British Pork Belly with Crushed Rosemary Potatoes, Confit Garlic & Roasting Juices'; 'Oven-Roast Wild Fennel & Broad Bean Risotto with Parmesan Shavings & Pea Shot Salad'; 'Pan-Fried Sea Bream with Petit Pois à la Francaise, Pea Purée, Crispy Alsace Bacon & Watercress Salad' and 'Confit Duck Leg with Spinach, Roast Garlic & Dauphinoise Potatoes' amongst the mains.
Desserts are too tempting to miss, with perhaps 'Prune & Armagnac Soufflé, with Earl Grey-Infused Prune Compote'; 'Braeburn Tart Tatin with Vanilla Ice Cream' and 'Warm Pineapple Beignets with Coconut Sorbet and Mango & Passion Fruit Sauce' there to tempt you.
It goes without saying, that service is slick & professional.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: all week 12.15-14.30; set L £28 (plus £5.60 donation to the National Trust); L Sun £50
- Dinner: all week 19.00-21.30; set D £65 (plus £1.50 National Trust admission fee [except for NT members]); Tasting Menu £90
- Seats: 70
- Wine: The wine list is truly impressive, but there's nothing under £30, and prices rise steeply after that.
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Taplow Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: check Christmas openings
- Rooms available