The Winner of our Best Vegetarian Restaurant Award for 2009
One of the countries best vegetarian restaurants - and with a modern and interesting menu to match. The dining room has bare wooden tables and although colourful (even by Brighton standards) there is little to indicate the standard of food to come.
The menu makes unfamiliar reading, but the staff are friendly and knowledgeable, and unless you're a regular, their guidance will almost certainly be needed.
The menu's change with the seasons, but dishes such as 'Truffle' or 'Wild Garlic and Goat's Cheese Risotto' or strangely-labelled dishes such as 'Black Bean Cellophane Frisbee' set the style for starters.
With maybe 'Asparagus Tips and Piccalilli'; 'Curried Cauliflower and Coconut Masala Tandoori-Spice-Sausage with Okra Channa Panch Phoran' or 'Fundamentally Fungus Souffle' to follow. The complication of some dishes is too complex for some, but gives you the opportunity to try dishes you'd never try at home. We thouroughly recommend their Terre a Terre Tapas, which gives you an enormous sampler plate, which can easily be shared between two.
Desserts, such as 'Home-made Brown Bread Ice Cream'; 'Quince and Fairy Quills' and 'Sticky Blackstrap' (stem ginger and molasses gingerbread with Spiced Pears, Jerky Caramel Sauce and Crème Fraîche) might round off your meal, if you still have room.
Afternoon Tea is offered between lunch and dinner, and is deservedly popular.
The restaurant is thoroughly recommended for 'modern' vegetarians.
- Food Style: Vegetarian
- Lunch: Tues-Sun 12.00-15.30; mains from £7.50 to £15; Afternoon Tea 15.00-18.00 £9.95
- Dinner: all week 12.00-22.30 (Sat 23.00, Sun 22.00); set D £27, mains about £15
- Seats: 100, plus 12 outside
- Wine: All the wines offered are organic or biodynamic, and start at around the £20 mark
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible - plus a Children's Menu
- Wheelchair access: Yes (also lavatory)
- Nearest station: Brighton Rail (15 minutes walk)
- Directions: In the centre of the city, down a smart side street close to the remaining pier. See the map at the top of the page.
- Parking: Street parking, or NCP
- Closed: all Mon (except some Bank Holidays), 25th & 26th Dec, 1st Jan
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating