Find this excellent restaurant in this top-class hotel, up its own tree-lined drive which is nearly 2km long. By the time you arrive there'll be a porter to guide you in, or take your luggage. This level of service is maintained throughout. The Park Dining Room, with splendid chandeliers, has well-spaced, elegantly-laid tables, and the cooking of Hywel Jones is equally refined. (a less formal brasserie also operates, and also opens at lunchtime).
In their flagship 'Park Restaurant', expect the likes of 'Spinach Cappuccino with Truffled Quails Eggs'; 'Crisp Compression of Roundway Hill Pork with Roast Tiger Prawns, Tomato Fondue & Lemongrass'; 'A Ballotine of Organic Devon Duck with Mushrooms and Chutney' or 'Bay Scallops, with a fricassee of Snails and Wild Mushrooms'.
Perhaps to be followed by 'Roast Venison with a Spiced Pear and Game Chips'; 'Braised Fillet of wild turbot with Crisp Belly of Suckling Pig, Pumpkin & Bramley Apple Pureé, Hand-Rolled Macaroni & Truffle Butter Sauce'; 'Local Lamb, the Loin Roasted and the Shoulder wrapped in Cannelloni' or 'Roast Roundway Hill Pork' (in various guises - foie gras on one occasion).
Desserts - such as 'Whisky Ice Cream, with hot Chocolate Fondant' & 'Passion Fruit Cream with Lemongrass & Palm Sugar Sorbet and a Mango Shot' - maintain the high standard.
Gentlemen are required to wear a jacket and tie in the evening. No mobile phones.
- Lunch: all week, Brasserie only; set L £19 (2 courses), £21 (3 courses), mains £14 to £18; Set L Sun in Park Restaurant £39 (3 courses)
- Dinner: Park Restaurant 18.30-22.00; Set D from £70 (3 courses); Gourmet menu £90. A lighter menu is also available in the Brasserie - mains £14 to £18
- Seats: 50
- Wine: An excellent wine list has firm prices
- Children's portions: No children under 8, older children's helpings when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes (also lavatory)
- Nearest station: Chippenham or Bath Rail (about 7 miles)
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page - or leave the M4 at junction 17, then take the A350 to Chippenham, then the A420 towards Bristol for about 5km. When you reach Ford, take the turning to Colerne. After a further 7km turn right into Doncombe Lane. Find the hotel in about 100 metres.
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: L Mon-Sat
- Rooms available