Thought by many to be London's top Italian, and certainly up there with the best (Alloro q.v. is from the same stable). The acquisition of the next door property has largely quelled one of the main gripes - that of over-cramped tables. The décor is rustic and simple, with a brick and tiled floor, and plain brick walls, but don't let that fool you about the quality of the food, which is direct and classy.
Expect the likes of 'Pappardelle folded around sliced Porcini'; 'Thinly-sliced Tuna and Scallops with a Cucumber Salad'; 'Bresaola with Rocket and Parmesan' as Antipasti; Pasta dishes are very classy - perhaps 'Osso Buco Ravioli' or 'Tagliolini with Crab, Corgettes and Chili' among the options.
For mains, 'Calf's Liver with Balsamic Vinegar' (or perhaps with Rősti and Mushrooms); 'Char-grilled Monkfish with Courgettes and Sweet Chili' or 'Roast Guinea Fowl with Polenta and Wild Mushrooms' might be among the options.
Desserts offer the compulsory 'Tiramisu' but much more - maybe 'Raspberry Parfait with glazed Zabaglione'.
Service is both relaxed and helpful. It's a marvellous place to people watch, without sacrificing the quality of the food - which is so often the case. The places we have mind, will be conspicuously absent from our listings.
No mobile phones.
- Food Style: Italian
- Lunch: all week, 12.00-14.30; set L Mon-Fri £21 (2 courses), £26 (3 courses), £39.50 (4 courses); mains about £10 to £27
- Dinner: all week 19.00-23.00 (Sun 22.30); set D £36.50 (2 courses), £46.50 (3 courses), £51.50 (4 courses)
- Seats: 140
- Wine: an enormous, and mainly Italian list kicks off in the high £20’s and oozes quality – there are a few interesting offerings under £30, which isn’t bad for Knightsbridge, and half a dozen by the glass.
- Children's portions: No, and no young children
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Knightsbridge Underground
- Directions: just off Sloane Street, behind the Carton Tower Hotel and Harvey Nichols. See the map on this page.
- Parking: there's a NCP behind the restaurant
- Closed: a few days at Christmas; Bank Holidays
- Air conditioned