A popular Victorian pub, belonging to an excellent chain - with a spacious open-plan interior and an airy rear conservatory, serving good food.
This ranges from sandwiches to more elaborate bistro-style dishes, such as 'Corned Beef and Black Pudding Hash' 'Pork Chops with Stilton Rabbit Topping'; 'Pan-Fried Squid'; 'Sea Bass with Savoy Cabbage' and various Steaks (sourced from local meat).
Puds such as 'Crème Brulée with Shortbread Biscuit' and 'Bread & Butter Pudding with Apricot Sauce & Clotted Cream' are there to tempt you, if you still have room.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: all week, 12.00-22.00; mains from about £9 to £24
- Dinner: all week, 12.00-22.00; mains from about £9 to £24
- Wine: An interesting and reasonably-price wine list; many available by the glass.
- Children's portions: No, and no children after 18.00; and no prams or push chairs
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Chester Rail
- Directions: on the B5130 south of Chester
- Parking: Parking
- Outside eating