This 15th century building, gets its pub name from the fact that it was once a crab apple mill.
Although still a pub, with comfortable sofas and a continental-style patio garden, food is the raison d'être for most visitors, although you are welcome to drop in for a morning cup of coffee.
The interior is divided up into a series of rooms with flagstone floors, but the pub has a light open feel.
Expect the likes of 'Chicken Liver Parfait'; 'Crispy Duck Laksa with Noodles & Asian Vegetables' and 'Squid in a Sesame Crust' among the starters.
Maybe 'Sicilian Mutton Pie with Honey-Roast Root Vegetables'; 'Smoked Haddock & Leek Fishcake, Tartare Sauce & Crayfish Salad'; 'Smoked Paprika & Lemon Chicken Salad with Butternut Squash, Red Onion & Green Beans' and 'Swordfish with Herb and Lemon Polenta and oven-dried Tomatoes' among the mains.
Keep room for dessert - such as 'Chocolate Tart with Bailey's Cream'.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Mon-Thurs 12.00-15.00, Fri & Sat 12.00-17.00; mains about £7 to £8; Sun 12.30-16.00 mains £12 to £22
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 18.30-21.30; mains from about £12 to £22
- Wine: A concise, but well-thought-out list, travels the world, kicking off at around the £14 mark
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Claverdon
- Directions: on the main road between Warwick and Henley. See the map at the top of the page.
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: Sun D; check Christmas openings
- Outside eating