Find this former 16th century coaching inn, now a gastropub, alongside the Grand Union Canal. It now offers modern brasserie-style food, both in the recently refurbished interior or weather permitting outside in the garden (part of which has a canopy).
Starters (here, for some strange reason, called 'First Plates') include the likes of 'Gravadlax with Chive and Lime Crème Fraiche'; 'Sashimi with Wasabi, Pickled Ginger & Dipping Sauces'; 'Rustic Bread with Olive Oil' and 'Onion Tart with shaved Parmesan and Rocket'.
Perhaps follow with 'Haddock in Tempura Batter with Pea Purée, Sauce Gribiche and Frites'; 'Malaysian Vegetable Laksa with Pineapple Chutney & Naan Bread' or 'Duck Confit with White Bean Cassoulet'.
Desserts include Brulée's and the like. Dogs must be on leads.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: all week 12.00-14.30 (Sun 15.00); mains from £12; set L Mon-Fri £13.50 (2 courses), £16 (3 courses)
- Dinner: Mon-Fri 19.00-22.00, Sat 18.00-22.00, Sun 19.00-21.00; set D Mon-Thurs £13.50 (2 courses), £16 (3 courses); mains from £12-£22
- Wine: An short, but interesting list kicks off at about the £15 mark
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Lapworth Rail
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page
- Parking: Yes
- Outside eating