An impressive Edwardian country house, standing well above Lake Windermere, with truly impressive views. The grounds sweep down to the waters edge. The view from the dining room offers these views in abundance - over the lake towards the mountains.
Lunch offers a la carte options - perhaps ''Pan-Fried Scallops on Creamed Potato with Crisy Onions and Black Pudding' followed by 'Slow-cooked Beef Fillet with Ox Cheek' and a 'Praline Soufflé'.
For dinner, only a set dinner is offered - everyone sits down together. Chef Andy Beaton has largely kept with Miller House traditions - set up by John Tovey. This means everyone sits down together, and there is a six-course 'no choice' menu; however, there are now a few a la carte options at the starter and main stages (always including a vegetarian option).
So you will begin with assorted canapés (listed by type on the menu); follow with an amuse bouche (perhaps a cappuccino cup of mussel and saffron soup); the starter follows (perhaps roast squab pigeon with juniper jus); then an intermediate course (seared wild seabass with crab & sweetcorn, is typical); and then a Sorbet to refresh; this is followed by the main course; followed by dessert.
A good pre-prandial walk might be advised to do this menu justice.
Smart dress required.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: all week, 12.30-13.45; mains about £14; set L Mon-Sat £25 (3 courses); set L Sun £30 (4 courses). A light lunch menu is also available between Mon & Sat
- Dinner: all week, Sun-Fri 18.45-20.45 (a la carte); set D from £65 (4 courses); Tasting Menu £80
- Seats: 65, plus 20 outside
- Wine: an excellent wine list kicks off in the mid £20's, and lists about 8 by the glass
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, including lavatory
- Nearest station: Windermere Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page - or leave the M6 at junction 36. Follow the A591 bypass towards Kendal. Enter Windermere then continue to a mini roundabout . Here, take a left turn onto the A592, the hotel/restaurant is 600 metres on the right
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: check Christmas opening
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating
- Rooms available