An excellent village pub, which has been partly transformed into a restaurant by TV chef Mike Robinson - without losing the pub feel and local audience. The dining room has bare-wooden floors, sturdy pine tables and chairs and terracotta walls - decorated with hunting prints. A log burner gives the whole a cottagey feel.
The food on offer is rustic and flavours are bold. So expect the likes of 'Wood Pigeon, Bacon and Black Pudding Salad'; 'Chicken Liver Parfait'; 'Home-cured organic Orkney Gravadlax with a Fresh Herb Pancake and a Sweet Dill & Honey Sauce' or a delicious home-made soup to begin.
Perhaps 'Berkshire Pork Chop with Mash, Balsamic Shallots and Crackling'; 'Whole Spatchcocked Poussin marinated in Oregano, Rosemary, Thyme & Garlic'; 'Rolled Shoulder of Lamb with Dauphinoise Potatoes and Jus Roti' or Fish of the Day - to follow.
Game is featured strongly during autumn and winter months.
Finish with 'Cherry Clafoutis'; 'Sticky Toffee Pudding with Toffee Sauce'; 'Chocolate Fondant'; 'Hot Passion Fruit Soufflé' or their selection of Artisan Cheeses.
Sunday evening brings pizzas from their wood-burning oven; while on Monday it's used for both lunch & dinner.
Friendly service is under the direction of Mrs. Robinson.
Pub-style tables are available outside, and suitable for the bar menu. This includes the likes of ciabatta rolls, ploughman's (with 'proper' cheese) and shepherd's pie.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: all week, 12.00-14.00; set L Mon & Thurs £14.95 (2 courses) to £17.95; mains £15 to £23 (Bar meals are also available)
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 19.00-21.00; Sunday pizzas (see above) mains £15 to £23 (Bar meals are also available)
- Seats: 48, plus about 100 outside
- Wine: an interesting list kicks off at around the £20 mark
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Thatcham
- Directions: their web-site gives directions from all quarters; or see the map on this page.
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: Sun D; enquire about Christmas
- Outside eating
Reviews / Comments ( 5 out of 5 average rating)
Add your review
Mon 19th December 2011 by Will Gibson
What did you like about the Restaurant?
Great location, great food.
What did you not like about the Restaurant?
Having to keep off the sauce so I could drive home after my friend's 50th ;-)
Report this review