Serious food in comfortable surroundings, is the name of the game at this restaurant in the luxurious Summer Lodge Hotel.
The kitchen has taken great efforts building a seasonal supply network from top-class local producers and day boats and, while some dishes are complicated, their products are cooked with great skill to present them without overshadowing their intrinsic flavours.
Late summer Starters such as 'Carpaccio of local Scallops with Olive Oil and Lime Dressing, Green Asparagus, Rocket and Chili Salad'; 'Butternut Squash and Maple Soup, Butternut Fondant and Toasted Pumpkin Seeds' and 'Roast Breast and Confit Leg of Squab Pigeon with Warm Puy Lentils and a Fig Salad' set the style.
Perhaps to be followed by 'Fillet of local Sea Bass with Saffron and Olive Oil Potatoes, Oven-Dried Tomatoes, Olives and Basil Foam'; 'Roast Loin of Dorset Lamb and Braised "Shepherds Pie" with Savoy Cabbage and Rosemary Jus' and 'Grilled local Beef with Wild Mushrooms and Blue Vinny Ravioli, Beetroot and Red Wine'.
Desserts such as 'Crème Brulée with Dried Fruit Compote and Cinnamon Ice Cream' and 'Milk Chocolate Mousse with Banana and Lime Sorbet and a Banana Tuile' maintain the high standard, or you might be tempted by their excellent selection of British Farmhouse Cheeses.
There's a strict dress code of no T shirts, shorts, trainers or sandals
- Food Style: Modern European
- Lunch: Mon-Fri 12.00-13.45, Sat & Sun 12.30-14.00; set L Mon-Sat £24 (2 courses), £27 (3 courses); set L Sun £39
- Dinner: all week, 19.00-21.30; mains about £23 to £32; Tasting Menu £75 (7 courses)
- Seats: 48 (private dining room 12)
- Wine: an impressive list, includes many prestigious bottles, and would make good bedtime reading. However, there are no wines under the £30 mark. There's a sommelier at hand to guide you through.
- Children's portions: No children under 7 years of age. Children's helpings and menu for older children.
- Wheelchair access: Please enquire
- Nearest station: Dorchester Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes, adequate
- Air conditioned
- Rooms available