An imaginatively-converted sugar warehouse now houses this comfortable hotel with its bistro-style restaurant. It's part of a growing chain, and while a bistro by name, the atmosphere is serious and might be considered too formal by those seeking a more light-hearted style.The menu changes a little each month, but a summer snapshot brought the likes of 'Black Pudding Mousse with Poached Egg Salad'; 'Chilled Pea Soup'; ' Chicken Liver & Foie Gras Parfait with Red Onion Marmalade & Toasted Brioche' and 'Pan Fried Scallops with Pork Rillette, Beetroot & Pea Jelly' among the starters.
Perhaps, 'Pan-fried Turbot with Ratte Potatoes and Salmon Consommé'; 'Confit of Duck Leg with Pak Choi and Red Wine Jus'; 'Whole Squab Pigeon with Fricassé of Summer Beans' and 'Rump of Lamb with Ratatouille and Olive Mash' among the mains.
Perhaps finish with 'Gooseberry Fool with Lime Sorbet'; 'Honey-roasted Figs with Goats' Cheese Ice Cream; or Farmhouse Cheese, in peak condition.
No mobile phones in dining room.
If you plan ahead, you can stay in one of their comfortable bedrooms.
- Food Style: Bistro
- Lunch: all week, 12.00-14.00 (Sun 14.30); set L £17.95 (2 courses), £20.95 (3 courses); mains about £11 to £30; set L Sun £19.95 (2 courses), £24.95 (3 courses)
- Dinner: Mon-Thurs 17.30-22.00, Fri & Sat 17.30-22.30, Sun 18.00-21.30; set D £17.95 (2 courses), £20.95 (3 courses); mains about £11 to £30;
- Seats: 80
- Wine: A truly impressive wine list (about 700 bottles are listed) is based in France, but travels the world. Prices are firm, and their list of wines by the glass may not be produced unless you ask.
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, including lavatory
- Nearest station: Bristol Temple Mead Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page - or leave the M4 at junction 19, and follow the M32 into Bristol. With Bentalls on the left, take the right lane at the next lights. Turn right into the opposite side of the carriageway, the restaurant/hotel is 200m in a side road.
- Parking: Yes, but limited
- Closed: L 31st Dec.
- Outside eating
- Rooms available