Created from an elegant terrace of Georgian houses, is now home to this excellent bistro, which offers a wine list comprehensive enough to satisfy anyone. They have live jazz, three times a week, so enquire, as it might make or spoil your evening.
While a bistro by name, the atmosphere is serious and might be considered too formal by those seeking a more light-hearted style.
The menu changes a little each month, but a summer snapshot brought the likes of 'Black Pudding Mousse with Poached Egg Salad'; 'Chilled Pea Soup'; ' Chicken Liver & Foie Gras Parfait with Red Onion Marmalade & Toasted Brioche' and 'Pan Fried Scallops with Pork Rillette, Beetroot & Pea Jelly' among the starters.
Perhaps, 'Pan-fried Turbot with Ratte Potatoes and Salmon Consommé'; 'Confit of Duck Leg with Pak Choi and Red Wine Jus'; 'Whole Squab Pigeon with Fricassé of Summer Beans' and 'Rump of Lamb with Ratatouille and Olive Mash' among the mains.
Perhaps finish with 'Gooseberry Fool with Lime Sorbet'; 'Honey-roasted Figs with Goats' Cheese Ice Cream; or Farmhouse Cheese, in peak condition.
No mobile phones in the dining room.
If you plan ahead, you could stay the night in one of their comfortable bedrooms.
- Food Style: Bistro
- Lunch: all week, 12.00-14.00 (Sun 12.30-14.30); set L Mon-Sat £16.95 (2 courses), £19.95 (3 courses); set L Sun £15.95 (2 courses), £20.95 (3 courses); mains about £15 to £25
- Dinner: all week, 19.00-22.00; mains from about £15 to £25; set D £16.95 (2 courses), £19.95 (3 courses)
- Seats: 90, plus 40 outside
- Wine: A truly impressive wine list (about 700 bottles are listed) has its roots in France, but travels the world. Prices are firm, and you may not necessarily be shown their list of wines by the glass.
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, including lavatory
- Nearest station: Harrogate
- Directions: See the map on this page - or from the A1, follow signs for the town centre. Take the third exit from the Prince of Wales roundabout (signposted town centre), and the hotel/restaurant is 400m on the right.
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: 24th & 25th Dec & 1st Jan.
- Outside eating
- Rooms available