Set in a 16th century thatched building, this excellent restaurant, provides a serious need in the area. The dining room has well spaced tables, making it ideal for evening business meetings, and there's a comfortable bar with deep sofas for that pre-prandial drink.
Richard Hughes offers an interesting menu, with a few Norfolk overtones, maybe a cider sauce here and local game there; and little amuse bouche crop up unexpectedly; cheesy to begin, then a sorbet in the middle.
'A little Salad of 10-week-aged Beef with Pickled Vegetables, Jack Daniels Jelly and a Fried Quails Egg'; 'Steamed Norfolk Game Pudding with Beetroot, Black Pepper and Soured Cream'; 'Warm Salad of Pig's Head, Piccalilli, Apple & Raisin Bread' and 'Grilled Fillet of Red Mullet with Shellfish Risotto and Bisque' set the style for starters.
'A Sauté of the Day's Fresh Fish, with Savoy Cabbage, Crushed New Potatoes and Seville Orange Butter'; 'Roast Breast of Hockham Pheasant with its own Sausage, Brussel Sprouts, Chestnuts and Bacon and Juniper-flavoured pan juices' and 'Fillet and Shin of Barnard's Beef, Pot-Roast Vegetables, Binham Blue Cheese Fritter and both Port and Bearnaise Sauces' from an early spring mains menu.
Finish with nicely-presented desserts - such as 'Iced Peanut Butter Parfait, with Banana Marshmallow and a Bitter Chocolate Sauce'; or a selection of British farmhouse cheese.
There are vegetarian options at each stage.
Service is both professional and friendly.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Sun 12.00-14.00, set L £25 (4 courses)
- Dinner: Thurs-Sat 18.30-23.00; set D £39.95 (5 courses); Tasting Menu £58 (complete tables only)
- Seats: 45, plus 10 outside
- Wine: an interesting wine list, kicks off at around the £20 mark, and half a dozen by the glass
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, including lavatory
- Nearest station: Brundall Rail
- Directions: Brundall is just off the A47 just east of Norwich. See the map at the top of the page.
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: Mon-Sat L; D Sun; 24th-30th Dec